SLECKBURN, or SLEEKBURN, EAST, a township, in the parish and division of Bedlington, union of Morpeth, county of Northumberland, 6¾ miles (E.S.E.) from Morpeth; containing 72 inhabitants. This township, which is the property of the see of Durham, has the ocean at a short distance on the east; and the tide covers a low piece of ground of considerable extent. The Sleek burn rises a little to the west of Tranwell, in the parish of Morpeth, where it is called Catch burn, and pursues its course to the river Blyth; it is for some distance very narrow and sluggish, and throws down much slake or mud, from which the township derives its name. There is a small village. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £12. 12.; and the appropriate for £127. 6., payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.