Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Herrington > East and Middle Herrington, 1848
East and Middle Herrington, 1848
HERRINGTON, EAST and MIDDLE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Houghton-Le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 9 miles (N.E.) from Durham; containing 231 inhabitants. The township is on the road from Durham to Sunderland, and comprises 955a. 6p., of which 598 acres are arable, 200 grass-land, 11 wood, and 42 waste. A coal-mine here, called the Philadelphia, is the property of the Earl of Durham. The chapel was built in 1840, at the expense of the rector of Houghton-le-Spring, the Rev. E. S. Thurlow. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.