Cumrew Parish, 1848
CUMREW, a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Brampton; comprising the townships of Cumrew Inside and Outside, the former containing 112, and the latter 71, inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Gelt, and comprises 2,694a. 2r. 10p., of which about 950 acres are arable, and the rest, with the exception of 30 acres of wood, high moorland pasture inclosed about 35 years ago. The soil on the level grounds is a good loamy earth; and in the western district, which is mountainous, there is good limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The tithes have been commuted for £89. 13. 4., and the glebe comprises 17½ acres. There are several cairns, one of which, Carduneth, on the summit of a hill, is of immense size; and near the river are the ruins of a large castle formerly belonging to the Dacres.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.