Topics > Northumberland > Cramlington > Cramlington, 1855

Cramlington, 1855

Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.


This chapelry, forming a portion of the parish of St. Andrew, Newcastle, is bounded on the north by Horton, on the west by Stannington, on the south by Long Benton, and on the east by Earsdon, and comprises an area of 3,492 acres. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 271; in 1811, .303; in 1821, 330; in 1831, 931 ; in 1841, 2,634; and in 1851, it had increased to 3,367 souls. Its rateable value is £9,018, 10s. The great and rapid increase of population observable in this chapelry, is owing to the opening of coal mines, which are worked by Humble, Lamb, and Co., and Joseph Lamb and Co., the former working those on the property of the late Thomas Taylor, Esq. and the latter the East Cramlington Colliery, The principal landowners are Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart., H. S. Storey, Esq., and Hugh Taylor, Esq. Cramlington was formerly held under the barony of Gaugy by a family who bore the local name, but on the failure of the male line, in the latter part of the reign of Henry V. it was transferred by marriage to the Lawsons, and subsequently to the Cholmleys and Radcliffes, becoming ultimately the property of the present proprietors.


THE VILLAGE of Cramlington is pleasantly situated on a fertile and gentle elevation, commanding beautiful and extensive views of the surrounding country, and the German Ocean. It is distant about eight and a half miles north-east from Newcastle. THE CHAPEL is a neat edifice, dedicated to St. Nicholas. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of Northumberland and deanery of Newcastle, gross income, £75. The tithes were commuted in 1839; aggregate amount of the Bishop of Carlisle's, £266. 13s, 4d.; of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle's, £266. 13s. 4d.; and of the impropriator, £102. Patron, Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart.; incumbent, the Rev. Robert Green- wood. This village possesses two day schools, one of which, the "Cramlington National School for Girls," with the teacher's house adjoining, was erected at the sole expense of Mrs. Storey, of Arcot Hall, who, also, endowed the school with an income of £30 per annum. It was opened in 1853. Margaret McKenzie, teacher. 

Here is CRAMLINGTON HALL, the seat of Hugh Taylor, Esq., and ARCOT HALL, the residence -of Henry Shum Storey, Esq. 

CRAMLINGTON COLLIERY, or, as some call it, East Cramlington Colliery, is a considerable collection of cottages, inhabited principally by the workmen employed in and about the colliery from which the place derives its name. It is situated contiguous to the boundary of Seaton Delaval, and possesses two small chapels, belonging, respectively, to the Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. There is also a day school, conducted by Mr. David Stokoe. 

CRAMLINGTON HIGH PIT is a colliery hamlet, situated about a mile east of the village of Cramlington. WEST CRAMLINGTON COLLIERY is another hamlet similar to the one just mentioned. In 1850, two small chapels were erected here by the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. A school for the education of the colliery children was opened here in 1849. The present building not being sufficiently commodious for the number of pupils in attendance, it is purposed, by John Walker, Esq. of Seaton Burn, and the other owners of the colliery, to erect a more suitable school-room during the present year. William Hornsby and Jane Robson, teachers. 

CHARITY - Robert Storey, who died in August, 1822, left .£100 to be laid out on government security, on trust that the dividends should be paid to the chaplain and churchwardens of the chapelry, for the benefit and relief of the poorest or least able to work, of the necessitous inhabitants of the village of Cramlington or precincts thereof, male and female, belonging to the chapelry of Cramlington.


POST OFFICE, CRAMLINGTON, Thomas Bell, postmaster. Letters arrive from Seaton Delaval, at noon, and are despatched thereto at 2 p.m. 


Atthey Thomas, grocer and flour dealer, West Cramlington 

Barras James, butcher and Cramlington 

Bell John W. grocer, East Cramlington

Bell Thomas, grocer, flour dealer, and farmer, Cramlington

Bell William, brick and tile manufacturer, and land agent, West Cramlington

Bell William, grocer, East Cramlington 

Bird Wm. shoemaker, West Cramlington

Burlinson Jno. foreman smith, Cramlington Colliery

Carr Thomas, grocer and flour dealer, Cramlington High Pit

Carr William, farm manager, East Cramlington Colliery

Carter Thomas, coal inspector, East Cramlington Colliery

Clough Robt. grocer, &c. West Cramlington Colliery

Craig Robert, surgeon, Cramlington 

Davison Thomas, foreman engineer, Cramlington Colliery 

Dinning Thomas, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker, Cramlington 

Edgar Thomas P. grocer and flour dealer, West Cramlington 

Ellison John, boot and shoemaker, Cramlington 

Fairmann Robt. mercht. tailor, Cramlington 

Foster Mary, schoolmistress, East Cramlington Colliery

Grabam Thomas, smith, West Cramlington Colliery

Gray Authony, boot and shoemaker, Cramlington

Gray Edward, coal inspector, West Cramlington Colliery

Gray William, leather cutter, and boot and shoemaker, Cramlington .

Hagan Edward, linen and woollen draper, Cramlington

Halifax Rev.Joseph, curate of St. Nicholas's Chapel, Cramlington

Hardy John, butcher, Cramlington 

Henderson Joseph, vict. Blue Bell Inn, West Cramlington 

Hornsby William, schoolmaster, Colliery School, West Cramlington 

Hughes William, draper, West Cramlington 

Jobling Elizabeth, vict. Doctor Syntax Inn, South Cramlington 

Lawson Mark, vict. Blue Bell Inn, Cramlington 

Liddle H. joiner and builder, Cramlington 

Maddison William, under viewer, West Cramlington Colliery

McKenzie Margaret, schoolmistress, Cramlington Girls' School

Milburn Robert, tailor, Cramlington

Moore William butcher, Cramlington

Morris Thomas, beerseller and shopkeeper, Cramlington

Mundy Joseph, station master, Cramlington Railway-station

Paine John, butcher, Cramlington

Percy Joseph, vict. & carrier, Fox & Hounds Inn, Cramlington

Potter Mr. Edward, colliery viewer, Cramlington Bouse

Potts Michael, carrier from Cramlington to Newcastle on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays

Potts Wm. joiner & cartwright, Cramlington

Ramsay John, coal inspector, West Cramlington Colliery

Richardson John, butcher, West Cramlington

Robinson Thomas, mason, Cramlington

Robinson William, vict. Railway Tavern

Robson Jane, schoolmistress, West Cramlington Colliery school 

Robson George, smith, West Cramlington

Simmons George, gardener and seedsman, Cramlington

Stephenson Josiah Wheatley, tailor, Cramlington

Stokoe Edward, schoolmaster, East Cramlington Colliery

Storey Henry Shum, Esq. Arcot Hall

Taylor Hugh, Esq. Cramlington Hall

Tate Wm. overman, Cramlington Colliery

Telford William, under-viewer, Cramlington Colliery

Thompson Wm. grocer and draper, Albion House, Cramlington

Vint Thomas, shopkeeper, Cramlington

Weddell John schoolmaster, Cramlington

Young Mrs. Ralph, Crow Hall 



Bell Thomas, Cramlington 

Boutflower John, Bassington 

Hood Edward, and Hood Edward, jun. Cramlington Moor House 

Lowes John, Cramlington Beacon

Millburn Ralph and John, Dam Dykes

Riddle Geo. sen. and Riddle Geo. jun. and Edwd. Riddle, Cramlington White Hall

Sisterson Thomas, South Cramlington

Smith John, Shank House

Smith Robert, and overseer, Cramlington 

Wardle Thomas, Cramlington


Carrier, Joseph Percy, from Fox & Hounds Inn, Cramlington 


Cramlington Castle Ward, 1855 St Andrew's Parish, Newcastle - 1855


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.