Claxton Township (Greatham), 1848
CLAXTON, a township, in the parish of Greatham, union of Stockton-upon-Tees, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (N.N.E.) from Stockton; containing 52 inhabitants. A branch of the Norman family of Heriz, settling here, assumed the local name; and numerous notices of the Claxtons occur in the records during the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries: from this family Thomas Claxton, a celebrated antiquary, and the friend and correspondent of Camden, was descended. Of the ancient manorhouse, which was deserted for Horden, no traces exist. The township comprises 866 acres: the great tithes have been commuted for £125, and the vicarial for £33.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.