Chirdon Township (Greystead), 1848
CHIRDON, a township, in the parish of Greystead, union of Bellingham, N.W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Bellingham; containing 60 inhabitants. The township comprises an area of 5,361 acres, and extends along the east side of the Chirdon burn, which has its source on the borders of the county of Cumberland, and falls into the North Tyne about a mile to the east of Greystead.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.