Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Carlatton Civil Parish > Carlatton, 1848

Carlatton, 1848


CARLATTON, an extra-parochial liberty, in Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 9½ miles (E.S.E.) from Carlisle; containing 61 inhabitants, and comprising 1,600 acres. Several coins, supposed to be Roman, have been discovered in ploughing a field forming part of the Low Hall estate; and at a farm called Saugh-tree-gate is a cairn.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Carlatton Civil Parish

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES