Bullers Green, Morpeth


In the 19th century Bullers Green was recorded as a township just ouside Morpeth, but has since been subsumed into the town as it grew in size.

BULLER'S-GREEN, a township, in the parish, parliamentary borough, and union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 169 inhabitants. It comprises about 100 acres of land, tithe-free, adjoining the north and north-west boundaries of the town of Morpeth, and consists principally of one row of houses, in a curved line. The abbot of Newminster anciently had possessions in the place; and there was probably, some three centuries since, a bowling-green here, on "Bowles Green," a name now corrupted into Buller's-Green.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
from Geograph (geograph)
Bullers Green

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Bullers Green Steps (Morpeth)
- "A map of Morpeth dating to 1826 shows a number of stepping-stones crossing the River Wansbeck. There are now no remains to be seen here....."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES