Bolton Parish (Allerdale), 1848
BOLTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Ireby; containing 1,211 inhabitants, of whom 312 are in High-Side, and 899 in Low-Side. This place was anciently called Bothilton. It has four districts or constablewicks, namely, Bolton-Wood, which was at one time mostly woodland; Bolton-Row; Newlands; and Bolton-Gate. The prevailing soil is a dry loam, well adapted for turnip husbandry, but there is also a large portion of this loam on a clayey bottom, which, when drained, yields abundant crops of wheat and oats: coal, limestone, and red sandstone are worked to a considerable extent. The timber of Bolton-Wood has been greatly cleared away, except near the residence of William Coulthart, Esq., at Bolton-Wood House. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 18. 4.; net income, £512; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is a very ancient edifice roofed with stone. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A copper battle-axe was lately found in the moss at Bolton-Wood.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.