Topics > Tyne and Wear > Gateshead > Birtley > Black Fell Colliery

Black Fell Colliery


"...Black Fell hauler is all that is left of the once significant Black Fell Colliery site. The original pits sunk here in the early 1700s formed Mount Moor colliery. Later the site became known as Black Fell Colliery and the last working pit here was Vale pit, which closed in 1929. However, the shaft was still in use for man-riding and escape purposes as late as the 1960s, being linked underground to other pits in the area. Black Fell in the early 1900s is shown below and demonstrates how industrial the area was at the time....." (Derelict Places)

"The first civil engineering work upon which [Joseph Locke (1805 - 1860)] was engaged was the construction of a railway of six miles in length from the Black Fell Colliery to the River Tyne, of which George Stephenson was the Engineer, and there he acquitted himself so well, that he was subsequently sent, in 1825, to survey the lines from Leeds to Selby, from Manchester to Bolton, and from Canterbury to Whitstable." (Grace's Guide)

Birtley Black Fell Engine House
  Co-Curate Page
Black Fell Engine House
-
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Mount Moor Colliery
- also known as Springwell (Vale Pit) , Vale Pit

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES