Barrasford Sanatorium (1907 - 1960)
"In 1906 the Newcastle and Northumberland branch of the National Association for the Prevention of Consumption raised funds to establish a sanatorium at Camp Hill, Gunnerton near Barrasford, Northumberland. It opened in 1907 as the Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland Sanatorium. In 1925 the sanatorium was taken over by Newcastle City Council and became the Newcastle upon Tyne Sanatorium, which it remained until its transfer to the National Health Service in 1948. The sanatorium closed 31 March 1960 and patients were transferred to Woolley Sanatorium." (National Archives) Tuberculosis (TB) was commonly called "consumption" in the 19th century. The site, roughly 2 miles north of Barrasford, is now Barrasford Park - a caravan park.