Allhallows Parish, 1848
ALLHALLOWS, a parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6¾ miles (S.W. by S.) from Wigton; comprising by admeasurement 1,860 acres, and containing 235 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently a chapelry in the parish of Aspatria, is bounded on the south by the river Ellen; and contains some quarries of freestone and limestone, and a vein of coal of inferior quality. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1817. A little southward of Whitehall is an intrenchment twenty-eight yards square, surrounded by a ditch.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.