- Construction of the second vehicle Tyne Tunnel was completed in February 2011, and refurbishment of the original tunnel was finished in November 2011.
- 31st January 2011: final closure of the Green Market in Newcastle.
- 23rd May 2011: opening of the Sir Bobby Robson Memorial Garden on Gallowgate, Newcastle
- September 2011; the tail-end of 'Hurricane Katia' hit the North East; Fulwell Windmill damaged.
- 21st October 2011; Turner Prize exhibition, hosted at the Baltic in Gateshead, opens to the public.
More events & visual 2011 Timeline