George Stephenson High School


Our school is located in Killingworth in North Tyneside. The High School is named after the famous engineer George Stephenson who was once engine wright at Killingworth Colliery. The School was originally established as George Stephenson Grammar School in 1953, at which time it was located on Benton Lane. The School moved to its current site, by Killingworth Lake, in 1970.

George Stephenson High School is a large secondary school in Killingworth, North Tyneside. This is located in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Admissions

The school provides education to pupils from Killingworth, Backworth, Shiremoor, West Moor,and West Allotment.

The school is situated opposite The Killingworth Centre (Morrisons)

History

Grammar school

It was called the George Stephenson Grammar School in 1953, at which time it was built on Benton Lane (the Great Lime Road) in West Moor. (George Stephenson lived nearby in a cottage when he worked at Killingworth Colliery.) The current school site in Killingworth is a replacement that opened in 1970, and was originally known as Killingworth High School, a comprehensive, but eventually took the George Stephenson name from the old school. The old school no longer exists; as it was demolished in 2004.

The headmaster since the opening of the old school in 1953 was Tom W. King, BA. He became headmaster of the new school and finally retired around the end of the 1981-1982 school year. When he died in 2004 at the age of 94, a plaque reading "Here, from 1956 to 2004, stood a Place of Learning" was placed on the wall of the West Moor Residents Association Community Centre, which now stands on the site of the old grammar school.

Each year group in the grammar school had 3 streams, L, G, and F. The L stream studied 3 years of Latin, 2 of German, and 5 of French. The G stream took German and French.

The popularity of the grammar school was such that it had expanded over the years from about 350 pupils (the capacity of the original main building) to about 600 (by the addition of prefabricated classrooms at the rear of the school).

Until 1970 the school had regular morning assemblies for all pupils. The school hymn was "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer". The school motto was Praesis Ut Prosis.

Comprehensive

It became a comprehensive school in 1970 with the move from the West Moor site to the Killingworth site. From 2004-5, the headteacher, Anne Welsh, was President of the Secondary Heads Association (SHA).

Charity

Every year the school chooses a charity, chosen by the students, such as The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, The TOMA fund and MacMillan Cancer Care.

Buildings

The school is split into several "blocks": the A block,B block, C Block, F Block, G Block, and P.E. Block. G block, F block and P.E block are freestanding buildings; C block and A block are attached by a small corridor, built in 2001, containing a music room, a computer room and a drama room. B block contains the library and reception areas.

Alumni

  • Kenneth Morris, Managing Director since 1999 of Nirvana Europe
  • John Sadler, historian

  • Professor J Scott Davidson, Vice-Chancellor, Newman University Birmingham; legal academic

  • Adam Mills, Ian Black, Greame Haddock and Andrew Sears founders of the Tinder Cup.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 24/09/2017).
Visit the page: George Stephenson High School for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from http://www.gshs.org.uk/
George Stephenson High School
- Official Website of George Stephenson High School

Added by
Co-Curate Team
from Flickr (flickr)
Year 7 Exhibition at the Great North Museum - 28th Feb 2015

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/newse...
Pupils produce new take on Tyneside history
- "A new take on the history of Tyneside icons including Newcastle United, Fenwick's store and Souter Lighthouse are part of a special month-long exhibition at the Great North Museum ...

Added by
Richy
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Killingworth Lake and George Stephenson High School
- "Around 1964, during the reclamation of the derelict pit sites, an attractive 6 hectare lake was created to the south of the centre of Killingworth new town. This is the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
George Stephenson Academy, Killingworth

source Pinned by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES