Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Embleton and District Civil Parish > Wythop Chapelry, Historical Account, 1848

Wythop Chapelry, Historical Account, 1848


WYTHOP, a chapelry, in the parish of Lorton, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of the county of Cumberland, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Cockermouth; containing 125 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £51; patrons, the Proprietors. The chapel is situated on an eminence above the western bank of Bassenthwaite lake. The ancient Hall has been converted into a farmhouse. The Rev. John Hudson, a learned divine and critic, was born here in 1662.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Embleton and District Civil Parish Wythop Civil Parish Lorton Parish, 1848

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES