Heighley Township, 1848
HEIGHLEY, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 2¼ miles (N.N.W.) from Morpeth; containing 111 inhabitants. This formed part of the possessions of Newminster Abbey. High and Low Heighley, the Loaning-End, Warrener's-Houses, and High and Low Espley, form one constablewick, containing about 1185 acres of land, of which 40 are occupied with wood. Espley is a commodious farmhold, pleasantly situated on a rising ground, four miles northby-east from Mitford; Low Espley is also an agreeable place.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Note: the township was later referred to as High and Low Highlaws (see: Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1872). The population of High and Low Highlaws was 103 in 1901 growing to 159 in 1931.