Topics > Tyne and Wear > Gateshead > Clara Vale > The Iron Chapel, Clara Vale
The Iron Chapel, Clara Vale
The 'Iron Chapel' in Clara Vale is a former Methodist chapel, built in 1897 from a kit (a 'tin tabernacle'). The land on which the chapel is built was rented from the Coal Company for £1 per annum. After it was replaced by a larger stone church (still standing next door), the corrugated iron building became a Sunday School and Church Hall in 1909. In more recent times, the Iron Chapel was converted for residential use, and is now available as a holiday let. The building is on the 'Local List'.
Remarkably there was once a second 'tin tabernacle' in Cala Vale - this was the Anglican, Church of the Good Shepherd, which stood in the centre of the village from 1886 to 1979.
